- May 09 2023
- 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
8-Week Online Course MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction) – April 2023
What is MBSR?
MBSR, or Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, is an eight-week mindfulness training program that was created by Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. He initially created it for chronically ill patients who were not responding well to traditional treatments, but it is now used for a wide variety of reasons by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.
What are the Benefits?
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) therapy is a meditation therapy, though originally designed for stress management, it is being used for treating a variety of illnesses such as depression, anxiety, chronic pain, cancer, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, skin and immune disorders.
How does the program work?
The MBSR course employs mindfulness meditation to alleviate suffering associated with physical, psychosomatic and psychiatric disorders. It constitutes of 2.5 hour/week, 8-weeks course with a 1-day retreat. Participants receive training in formal mindfulness meditation techniques involving simple stretches and postures. Each session starts with a mindfulness exercise that the participants have learned during the weekly sessions. The main exercises of the MBSR program are the body scan, gentle yoga, and sitting meditation. Through the course of the program, participants will practice one of these exercises every day. Each session focuses on one particular topic that is explored with specific exercises, as well as presentations from the teacher and in dialogue among the group participants. Some topics in an MBSR course are: mindful communication, working with difficult emotions and how perception influences our relationship to stressful events.
Learn how to pay attention on purpose, moment to moment, non-judgmentally. Mindfulness is about understanding and experiencing that our lives are unfolding now. It is about being able to choose our responses rather than unconsciously reacting to events in our lives.
*The course is an live online course via Zoom.
When does the course start and what is the schedule?
- Our next session of MBSR starts April 11, 2023.
- This 8-week virtual course includes a one-day virtual retreat. Each class meets once a week.
- Our schedule will be consecutive Tuesday evenings from 6:00pm to 8:30pm ET.
- A full-day virtual retreat is scheduled for May 20, 2023, from 9am to 4pm ET.
MBSR/Mindfulness Course: Tuesdays; ET
- Tuesday, April 11th Class Orientation 6:00-8:30pm (2.5 hours)
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, April 18th Class 1 – 6:00-8:30pm (2.5 hours)
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, April 25th Class 2
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, May 2nd Class 3
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, May 9th Class 4
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, May 16th Class 5
- Saturday, May 20th All Day Silent Retreat (6 hours) 9am-4:00pm (1 hour lunch break)
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, May 23rd Class 6
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, May 30th Class 7
- 6pm-8:30pm Tuesday, June 6th Class 8
What is the cost of the 8-week course?
The price is $525 USD. A certificate of completion provided.